• 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup water (***just less than ¼ cup b/c I added vanilla to the recipe)
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced (***I used 4 Granny Smith and 3 Pink Lady apples instead of all Granny Smith)
• 1 tsp. cinnamon
• ¼ tsp. nutmeg
• 1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Peel and slice apples, place in water with lemon juice as you go.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
4. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples (drained from water), mounded slightly. Pour half the filling onto the apples and then cover with a lattice work of crust. Now gently pour the rest of the liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
5. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.