January 24, 2013

Meatloaf (dairy free)

I wanted a week night version of meatloaf that was dairy free. Only took two attempts to have one that is a new family favorite. This one is very moist thanks to the veggies. Best yet? My toddler LOVES this version!

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1 cup of crushed saltine crackers (or bread crumbs, but most store bought have dairy)
1 small onion, finely diced
1 cup pureed vegetables (I've been cooking about 2 cups of frozen mixed veggies and pureeing that)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix together. Divide mixture into muffin tins. Top with your favorite sauce (we like a mixture of ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar).
Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.

Before topping and cooking.

Mmmm...all done! These mini meatloaves do freeze well and are conveniently already in individual portions. ;)

And if you're dairy free like me and don't have the time/energy/desire to make mashed potatoes from scratch, these are diary free and have the fewest extra ingredients for an instant potato. I do make the potatoes with Earth Balance "butter" and almond milk. Not as good or as natural as homemade, but homemade doesn't fall into my week night ability!

No comments: