· 6 tablespoons butter
· 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· ½ teaspoon baking soda
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 2 eggs
· 2/3 cup brown sugar
· 1 ½ cups applesauce (chunky works best)
1. Heat over to 375 degrees. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin with bake cups and set aside.
2. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter on high for about 30 to 60 seconds; set aside to cool slightly.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar. Stir in the applesauce and melted butter until mixture is smooth.
5. Pour the apple mixture over the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon just until the flour disappears.
6. Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown.
Optional - Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts (or a full cup if you LOVE nuts) to the batter before cooking.
Applesauce muffins with 1 granny smith apple chopped and added to batter.